§ 8-1016 Same; ignition interlock devices; approval by division; immunity from civil and criminal liability; rules and regulations
8-1016. Same; ignition interlock devices; approval by division; immunity from civil and criminal liability; rules and regulations
(a) The secretary of revenue may adopt rules and regulations for:
(1) The approval by the division of models and classes of ignition interlock devices suitable for use by persons whose driving privileges have been restricted to driving a vehicle equipped with such a device;
(2) the calibration and maintenance of such devices, which shall be the responsibility of the manufacturer; and
(3) ensuring that each manufacturer approved provides a reasonable statewide service network where such devices may be obtained, repaired, replaced or serviced and such service network can be accessed 24 hours per day through a toll-free phone service.
In adopting rules and regulations for approval of ignition interlock devices under this section, the secretary of revenue shall require that the manufacturer or the manufacturer's representatives calibrate and maintain the devices at intervals not to exceed 60 days. Calibration and maintenance shall include but not be limited to physical inspection of the device, the vehicle and wiring of the device to the vehicle for signs of tampering, calibration of the device and downloading of all data contained within the device's memory and reporting of any violation or noncompliance to the division.
(4) The division shall adopt by rules and regulations participant requirements for proper use and maintenance of a certified ignition interlock device during any time period the person's license is restricted by the division to only operating a motor vehicle with an ignition interlock device installed and by rules and regulations the reporting requirements of the approved manufacturer to the division relating to the person's proper use and maintenance of a certified ignition interlock device.
(5) The division shall require that each manufacturer provide a credit of at least 2% of the gross program revenues in the state as a credit for those persons who have otherwise qualified to obtain an ignition interlock restricted license under this act who are indigent as evidenced by qualification and eligibility for the federal food stamp program.
(b) If the division approves an ignition interlock device in accordance with rules and regulations adopted under this section, the division shall give written notice of the approval to the manufacturer of the device. Such notice shall be admissible in any civil or criminal proceeding in this state.
(c) The manufacturer of an ignition interlock device shall reimburse the division for any cost incurred in approving or disapproving such device under this section.
(d) Neither the state nor any agency, officer or employee thereof shall be liable in any civil or criminal proceeding arising out of the use of an ignition interlock device approved under this section.